Consumption VAT rate (as of Oct 1, 2019):
Standard VAT rate: 10%
Reduced VAT rate: 8%
Items subject to the reduced tax rate: Food and drink excluding alcoholic drink and dining out
Who is eligible for Tax Free Shopping?
Persons who actually made a purchase (i.e. not persons acting on behalf of someone else) and who do not live in Japan (i.e. are non-residents).
● Foreign nationals who do not live in Japan and who have been in the country for less than 6 month (from the date of initial entry, not re-entry)
● Japanese nationals who departed Japan for the purpose of residing overseas for at least 2 years and who have returned to Japan temporarily for less than 6 months
How to shop tax free in Japan
You must claim the tax refund from the same store as the goods were purchased.
Tax refunds must be claimed on the same day as purchase.
Refunds can be received in cash, and at selected stores to credit cards and Non cash refund Alipay,Wechat Pay
Tax free goods
General goods e.g. watches, bags, household goods over 5,000JPY YEN at a store in a single day.
Consumable products e.g. cosmetics, food, alcohol over 5,000JPY YEN maximum 500,000JPY YEN at a store in a single day
Personal use only (no commercial use).
Goods can be totalled together to reach the minimum purchase amount.
If general and consumable goods are combined, the goods must be taken out of the country within 30 days.
Goods should be packed as determined by the national government and should not be opened before exiting Japan.
Consumption tax will be charged in the event that the goods are used in Japan.
Items to be presented
● Passport or landing permit (crew members). Copies not accepted.
● ID Card and Overseas Residents Visa (Japanese citizens living abroad).
● Receipts and purchased goods.
● Credit card if used for purchase. Corporate cards not accepted.
If you have any questions, go to Help & Support