Standard VAT Rate 22%
● Fashion, textiles, leatherwear, jewellery, glassware, sunglasses, wines and other alcohol: 22%
● Food (meat and other food items): 10%
● Herbs (basil, oregano and sage): 5
● Milk, vegetables and fruit and bread and prescription glasses: 4
Minimum purchase amount
The Italian Tax Free Form is valid for 3 months from the issuing month.
New rules for shopping in Italy
Don't forget your passport next time you shop in Italy. New rules for the digital tax free system means that you must present your passport, or a scanned copy, in-store when purchasing the goods.
Who is eligible for Tax Free Shopping?
● If you have a permanent residence in a non-EU country.
● It is recommended that travellers under 18 years old are accompanied by their parents
How to Shop Tax Free
For more on how to claim your tax refund, including how to fill in the Tax Free Form, click here.
Stamping period: Issuing month + 3 months.
Validity of stamped Form: Issuing month + 3 months.
Receipts can be accumulated to reach the minimum amount if the purchases were made on the same day and in the same store.
Tax Free goods:
Refunds are paid on goods that are exported in the traveller’s personal luggage. If goods are too large to be carried in hand luggage, it is recommended that you contact Customs in advance.
VAT is not levied on books and therefore they are not eligible for tax refunds. However, the cost of books can contribute to the minimum purchase amount, if the books are bought at the same time as other VAT-qualifying products.
Completed Tax Free Forms which have been stamped by Customs can be sent to:
Standard and registered mail:
Global Blue P.O. Box 363, 810 00 Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe
Global Blue, Prievozska 4D/Block E, 821 09 Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe
If you have any questions, go to Help & Support