In 1861, young buttonmaker and dress trimmer Ludwig Beck opened a workshop on his father’s estate, with an initial team of fewer than 10 workers. The business expanded steadily and soon attracted the notice of prestigious customers including King Ludwig II, who established Beck as Königlich Bayerischer Hofposamentier: purveyor of passementerie [trimmings] to the Royal Bavarian court. The company remained in the Beck family until 1938, when it was sold to draper Gustl Feldmeier, who saw it through the next few decades.
In the economic boom of the 1950s, Feldmeier, who had by this point regained the title of Royal Bavarian Hofposamentier for Ludwig Beck, expanded the store, creating the flagship that remains today on Marienplatz. The department store’s originality has kept it relevant to the consumer, with developments such as a special entrance for S-Bahn and U-bahn passengers and an entire floor dedicated to classical music proving its innovative approach. Today it is one of the largest and most successful stores in Munich.
Ludwig Beck, Marienplatz 11, 80331 Munich, +49 (0)89 236910