Opened in 1907 by Adolf Jandorf, Kaufhaus des Westens, now familiarly known as KaDeWe, is located in Tauentzienstrasse on the edge of Berlin’s west side. Built according to a spacious, modern and functional design, KaDeWe soon attracted attention due to its vast array of products.
Shoppers could meet to socialise while browsing everything from the latest fashions from Paris to an assortment of exotic fruit from the South Seas. Tauentzienstrasse was soon the busiest shopping street in the city. The reopening of its first two floors in 1950 was seen as a symbol of a new beginning. Once more, the department store enjoyed a period of great success.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, the store was expanded to 60,000 square metres, making it Europe’s largest department store. KaDeWe, which celebrated its centenary in 2007, is still renowned for the variety of high-quality goods it carries, which include beauty, interiors and entertainment products and gourmet food, and the store continues to meet the needs of modern shoppers thanks to continual expansion and refurbishment.
KaDeWe, Tauentzienstrasse 21-24, 10789 Berlin, +49 (0)30 21210, kadewe.de