Global Blue Delivers Continued Growth with Turnover up 30% in 2011
Global Blue announces revenues of €424 million; driven by a 23% increase in traveller transactions to 27 million per year
Nyon, July 2, 2012 – Global Blue, the experts in international
shopping and spending, today reports on another year of strong revenue growth
driven by the rising numbers of globe shoppers. In the fiscal year April 1,
2011 to 31 March 2012 the business grew its turnover by 30% to €424million and
EBITDA increased by 44% to EUR 97 million.
Commenting on the figures, Per Setterberg, President and CEO of Global Blue, said: “Global Blue continues to make strong progress towards its goal of becoming a single reference point for globe shoppers. In 2011 the number of international shoppers increased across all major countries, including many emerging markets, such as China, Russia and Indonesia. We will continue to invest in products and services that make travellers’ shopping experience more enjoyable and help our merchants better meet the needs of globe shoppers, the world’s most valuable customers.”
Company Highlights (growth compared to previous fiscal year 1 April 2010 – 31 March 2011)
• Turnover increase by 30% to €424 million
• EBITDA increased by 44% to €97 million
• Total transactions increase by 23% to more than 27 million
• 20.1 million Tax Free Shopping transactions were made in 2011, up 24% on 2010
• 7.1 million Currency Choice (dynamic
currency conversion by Global Blue) transactions were made in 2011, up 25% on
Strategic and Operational Progress
• In April Global Blue signed an agreement with acquirer NCCC in Taiwan and started dynamic currency conversion operations in Taiwan.
• In July 2011 Global Blue OneInterface launched Pay @ Table, a restaurant service which includes secure mobile card payment integration.
- In November 2011, Global Blue launched its market intelligence product portfolio with the Globe Shopper City Index research, which examines the attractiveness of European cities for globe shoppers.
• Also in November 2011, Global Blue launched the electronic Tourist Refund System (eTRS) in Singapore, a favourite destination for shopping for Asian travellers; eTRS is digital end-to-end and simplifies the entire refund process for travellers and merchants alike.
• In March 2012 Global Blue launched Japan’s first tax free issuing system, eliminating tedious paperwork at the point of sale for stores and their foreign customers.
• Global Blue was twice during the
year awarded ‘Best Travel Organisation’ by leading travel media in China.
Global Traveller Statistics
• Travellers from China maintained their number one position, generating the most Tax Free Shopping (VAT/GST refund service provided by Global Blue) sales. Top five traveller nationalities:
1. China (21%)
2. Russia (17%)
3. Japan (5%)
4. Indonesia (4%)
5. United States (4%)
• Chinese travellers spent €2.1 billion in 2011, up 68% from 2010.
• The Top 5 destination countries for Tax Free Shopping sales in 2011 were:
1. France (19%)
2. UK (16%)
3. Italy (15%)
4. Singapore (13%)
Phone: +41 22 593 69 23
Phone: +46 708 510033